About Us

In 1990, when the last Capuchin monks left the monastery, the canton of Solothurn transferred its usage rights to the Kloster Dornach Foundation. This foundation consists of members of the local and civic community, the Friends of Kloster Dornach, Dornach’s Reformed Evangelical church and its Catholic Church, as well as the regional Catholic church of canton Baselland.

27 July 1999: On the occasion of the 500th anniversary of the Battle of Dornach, the canton officially donated the monastery’s deed to the foundation. Originally, the construction of the Capuchin monastery was made possible by an inheritance left by Maria Magdalena von Roll. On her death, she left 6,000 guilders to build a monastery in Dornach. The cornerstone was laid on 24 October 1673, but the entire construction lasted until 1676. Finally, on 16 July 1676, four priests and two brothers from various monasteries in central Switzerland moved into the completed building. In honor of Magdalena von Roll, a festival was held on 22 July 1676. Today, she is still celebrated each year on or around 22 July.

The Kloster Dornach Foundation manages its multi-faceted operations with the support of an internal management team and the operations management team of Berest. The board of trustees consists of volunteers from the association Friends of Kloster Dornach, members of the local and civic community, Dornach’s Reformed Evangelical Church and its Catholic Church, as well as the regional Catholic church of canton Baselland.

President: Lorenz Altenbach, Dornach
Hans Abt, Dornach
Wanda Bürgin, Liestal
Fredi Buchmann, Dornach
Thomas Kunz, Dornach
Bernhard Meister, Dornach
Christian Schlatter, Dornach

Friends of Kloster Dornach is an association represented on the board of the Kloster Dornach Foundation. The association supports the foundation as the owner of the former Capuchin monastery in its efforts to preserve and care for the entire historical complex and its cultural assets. Advocating the continuation of the centuries-old ecclesiastical, social and cultural traditions of this institution, our association employs ecumenical spirit in contemporary form according to the motto: Our monastery – simple. The people at the center — open.

President
Hans Abt, Dornach

Association Friends of Kloster Dornach
PO Box 411
4143 Dornach


Contact

Contact person

Jonas Rapp
Head of Hotel & Catering
jonas.rapp@klosterdornach.ch

Barbara van der Meulen
Head of Culture & Programming
vandermeulen@klosterdornach.ch

Felix Terrier
Church Rector & Head of Church
kirche@klosterdornach.ch

Petra Maier
Head of Administration & Reception
info@klosterdornach.ch

Christian Jakob
Head Chef
admin@klosterdornach.ch

Martin Hülsemann
Head of Restoration
admin@klosterdornach.ch


Location

Kloster Dornach

Kloster Dornach is easy to reach by public transport. From the SBB train station at Dornach-Arlesheim, you can reach us on foot in two minutes. Some parking spaces are available in the cloister courtyard.